Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Poppyseed Chicken

This is a recipe I got years ago from another homeschool mom on the Sonlight curriculum forums. I don't remember her name (sorry whomever you are!) but my family loves this dish. It is the type of dish I am trying not to make too many of these days ~ you know, the type that calls for 2 cans of cream of ___ soup ~ but my brain is not quite to the point where I can make bean or veggie main dishes "easily" and sometimes I need a fall back. This is a great fall back! And it's a great way to use up leftover rice.

Poppyseed Chicken

Combine in medium bowl:

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
2 cups (give or take) diced, cooked chicken
2 T poppyseeds


Meanwhile, layer cooked rice in bottom of casserole pan. Cover with chicken mixture. Top with bread crumbs or my favorite Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing mix (I should get a commission for mentioning them so often!) and drizzle one stick of melted butter on top of that. Bake at 350 for approximately 20 - 30 minutes or until heated through.


Delicious! And the leftovers, if there are any, make a great lunch for hubby. :-)

13 comments:

  1. This looks yummy but I've got to get you away from that stuffing mix! LOL I want you to go to your trash and see if it has MSG in it because every box I could find did. I'll have to try out different stuffing recipes and then forward you one. The only problem is that I haven't tasted the PF one in so long that I can't compare. You'll have to do that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, my PF comes in a bag, not a box. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't have msg in it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I forgot to say, that I NEVER use PF as stuffing by itself. Or stovetop stuffing or any of that stuff. Ick. Yuck. I do use it IN an awesome stuffing recipe I have. When I use it by itself it is only as a bread crumb topping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to the store tonight just to look. I'm almost sure that it all had MSG in it but maybe I am wrong. Now that you mention the bag thing, that's what I seem to remember but maybe I got it all mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth,

    Here is the ingredients list:

    unbromated unbleached enriched wheat flour, riboflavin, unbromated stone ground 100% whole wheat flour, high fructose corn syrup (boo!), salt, yeast, contains 2% or less of partially hydrogenated soybean oil, unsulphured molasses, spices, onion powder, citric acid, calcium propionate, and parsley.

    Is anything listed a codeword for msg?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope. I didn't make it to the store last night but went tonight and read the bag for every flavor. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa. Kraft Stove Top has MSG in it but your precious Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix does not. I am so sorry. I hope you forgive me. Will it help if I go buy a bag?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth, you silly! Only buy a bag if you really want some. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course I want a bag since now I know it doesn't have MSG in it. Much simpler than making stuffing from scratch and now I can use it on all the recipes you like it with. Maybe I'll make this tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, what did I do wrong? Did I use too much rice? It was one cup dry, then cooked. Not sure how much that makes. This was very, very dry. It needed a touch more chicken and about double the sauce. Nobody really liked it but I think it was because it was so very, very dry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you read "The Tightwad Gazette"? They have a recipe for homemade cream of _____ soup that is supposed to be frugal. You could probably get the book at the library.
    Blessings,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. A few more frugal ideas: sub homemade yogurt for the sour cream, use homemade toasted bread crumbs instead of stuffing mix...you probably knew all that! ;)
    Blessings
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete